Lofoten, Norway

We left Copenhagen on an evening flight at 7pm for a layover in Oslo, Norway, then went a lot further north to Bodø (pronounced Boo-duh) for another crappy overnight layover from midnight on until our 4:55AM flight into Leknes. Lofoten is the name of this archipelago in the far Northwest of Norway, and Leknes is one of the cities within it. I facetimed with my sister and girlfriend Jadee when we arrived in Bodø, eventually getting in trouble for being in this certain area of the airport. The security lady that passed us told us we had to go out of the gate area and make our way to the “lobby” where we would re-check into security “in the morning” (which was really like three hours from that time). When we walked downstairs we discovered several other backpackers sleeping in the airport that night too, which made us feel better that they, too, had been kicked out down there by security. Naturally since this airport is TINY, all the “good spots” for sleeping were taken when we got down there (although they were still on hard benches, covering themselves with sweatshirts as blankets). Robbie curled up on a couple of chairs and I literally just sat there, so miserable not being able to lay down or sleep. This is certainly one of the biggest pains of the type of travel we are doing. Going to more remote places definitely takes longer and doesn’t give you the convenience of lots of flight time options. We made it to 4am, with zero sleep for me and maybe thirty minutes of sleep for Robbie, got through security (which was a joke compared to the U.S.– a very welcomed joke though, as it’s such a wonderful thing to pass through security wearing your shoes and not unpacking your backpacks of every little item that might be flagged), and we very grumpily sat in the gate waiting for 4:55 in the morning.

If you look on a map, Bodø is just south of Lofoten on the mainland west coast of Norway. It’s just a twenty-five minute flight over to Leknes crossing the Norwegian Sea. Widerøe is the only airline that runs to the mini airport of Leknes and it’s simply a 10-row tiny propellor sea-plane. We have never flown on something quite so small, and if you know my dad’s story you’ll know why I had some fear about this flight. We walked onto the tarmac in ferocious winds and rain and up a few stairs into the plane. There were only 4 other passengers besides us on board, everyone was so quiet since the sun hadn’t even arrived yet. Three people boarded ahead of us so when we got up there the flight attendant asked that we sit further in the back of the plane away from the first three people to “even out the weight” of the plane. This comment and that the pilot announced that due to the weather we would have a very bumpy ride, you better believe I was squeezing Robbie’s had so tightly and dreading the next half hour of my life. haha Take off and landing is crazy in a propellor plane and way different than a normal aircraft. They ran the propellors for a good 5 minutes before we actually left the gate and then as we took off we could feel the plane swaying a harsh right and left in the air from the winds as we made our way into the sky. As the plane was still in ascent, the cockpit door flung open (it must not have been latched properly beforehand) and since the flight attendant was still required to be sitting and buckled, the door didn’t get closed until we were at the full elevation. I absolutely hated looking into the cockpit. I haven’t given it much thought on other flights in my life, but I like to imagine that inside the cockpit the pilots can see everything at all times. Looking down the aisle of this tiny sea plane that was jerking our bodies left and right every second and seeing just wholly grey and nothing else and then watching the pilots frantically (in my mind it was frantic, I’m sure it wasn’t actually) pressing all these buttons, I had to just look at Robbie. He is my calm. He just laughed and said, “This is fun!” and I couldn’t help but laugh too. Landing was rough to say the least. The wind gusts were immense and we landed on the right plane wheel before the left and it was pretty scary. Once we were safely landed, all six of us passengers sighed audibly in relief.

We had arrived, finally! But wait! It was 5:20am and the rental car place wouldn’t be open until 8am! More waiting to do and we still hadn’t slept. One man on the flight must have been from Lofoten because he immediately got in a car and left when he arrived, but the rest of the 5 of us sat in the one-room airport (where the baggage claim and security and the one single gate are all in one room!) for the next 2 and a half hours. This is SUCH a blur to me. I put my head on Robbie’s lap on the few chairs they had along one wall and slept on and off the whole time. We must have looked like zombies to the rental car guy when he woke us up! hahaha The biggest blessing of those last 12 hours was when the guy from Avis says, “I’m really sorry, but the only rentals I have left are automatics. Is that going to be okay?” Internally I was screaming, “HECK YES! HALLELUJAH! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! IS THAT OKAY?! IT’S A MIRACLE!” but instead Robbie said sweetly, “That’ll be perfect for us.”

Our airbnb for the week was in a city called Ballstad. It’s about 12 minutes from Leknes and is Lofoten’s biggest fishing town. Our place was called Villa Ballstad, another venue that hosted many other travelers in other rooms with shared bathrooms, living room and kitchen. We would recommend this place to anyone. We loved having Villa Ballstad as our home base for the week– clean, spacious, bathrooms with heated floors, a sauna (that you could pay a little extra to use), and a view of the ocean and mountains from the windows for a very reasonable price. Everything was perfect. I should mention the place is owned by the same people that owned the SCUBA diving business (“Lofoten Diving”) that sits about 400 feet from the front door, so there were two men from England (although one currently lives in Dubai because of his wife’s job) presumably in their sixties that were traveling together to SCUBA dive for seven days. Ken and Eric truly became our buddies this week, as their two-a-day dives happened at 8am and noon each day and afterward they’d sit and read books and hang out in the villa living room (they didn’t have a rental car to explore more) and consistently would be sitting there to greet us every night we’d arrive home after a full day of exploring. We ended every day with talk about their dives, the fish they saw or the underwater wrecks they’d swim through, and Ken’s classic question each day: “Well what did you end up doing today? You know you keep coming home later and later each night- we never know when to expect you!” hahaha Ken is a very social, loud bald British man with a great sense of humor and a true sweetness too. And we’d give him the spiel each day on what hike we did or what city we explored or what bakery we ate at. And they were genuinely interested and asked follow-up questions. Ken directly addressed Eric every time he spoke to him, multiple times in every conversation, and the tone of his voice is quite unique and booming, so Robbie and I will always associate a very British voice saying “Eric” (I wish I could insert a sound clip) over and over again with this place. At first it was maybe annoying, but by the end it was certainly endearing, as we felt like Ken and Eric were like our dads or something. We were even able to give Eric a ride to the airport yesterday (Ken left way earlier in the morning for Dubai), stopping at a coffee shop for lunch, and getting to hear even more about him and his life in London. He was incredibly appreciative of the ride.

Okay, now comes the task of attempting to write about our favorite place on earth (at least so far). Guys, I will not be able to do this week in Lofoten justice, and I’m bummed about that. All I can say is, GO TO NORWAY– you will not regret it.

Day one we drove as far west as you can go in a car (you can hike further west, but you can’t drive further). The road ends at the last city you can arrive in: Å. It’s pronounced “Oh”. It’s an hour drive from Ballstad and we made so so many stops along the way on little turnouts, to park the car, get out and pick our jaws up from the ground at every incredible sight around us. We couldn’t believe the weather God graced us with. We arrived during a storm and then for seven days straight after that we had sunshine and blue skies. We couldn’t have experienced this part of the world on a more beautiful week at the beginning of September, and all the locals continued to remind us of this. Which just led us to worshipping God greater, as we recognized our time could have looked a ton different had the weather not been as spectacular. I love that Robbie has such an immense curiosity, and this translates to a passion for a constant exploration of big and small things alike. He loves climbing over hills to see what’s on the other side, he loves maneuvering down rocky slopes to “hunt for critters” (as we kept ridiculously referring to it) in areas of ocean water that had pooled up in these rocky banks, and he loves trying new things. His excitement for nature truly brings out my excitement for nature. We love being outside so much. It’s what we love most, honestly even if it means just sitting in the grass outside, but you don’t go to Lofoten to just sit. 🙂 So we drove down to Å, walked into the information building and the young Norwegian man told us to just take a five minute walk through some trees at the end of the parking lot so see a fantastic view. So we walked this short easy trail through the trees and it just seemed surreal how gorgeous the mountains were. These mountains are so different than the Faroe Islands. They are taller, way more rocky, and have jagged, sharp peaks. The ones in Faroe are all covered in green grass from bottom to top and have more “rounded” peaks. Both stunning in their own right. There were enormous rocks to climb on to overlook one of the furthest west points on the islands, and I have to say, we spent about 4 hours here. It was just that good. The ocean was calm beneath us, and we maneuvered our way down the rocks to it. We just sat admiring everything for hours. It was a bright day with clouds, but then the sun rolled out and we basked in its light for so long, laying against each other on some rocks, the only people out there, feeling like the whole world was ours. We thanked God for the privilege of these hours together. I’ll never forget them- Robbie and me just as happy as we’ve ever been.

The next day we drove to Haukland Beach and hiked a mountain called Mannen. The Norwegian hiking guide website (that every tourist in lofoten uses.. if you go, you should use it too! http://www.68north.com) told us this hike was “easy.” I supposed an hour and a half hike that has very exposed sections that are perilously close to the edge and thigh-numbingly steep would make for an easy hike (NOT). haha But we are Nebraskans– people from the land of flatness. What do we know? Although I did have a short-lived mental breakdown of tears in my eyes saying, “Robbie I can’t do this. It’s too steep and we’re too close to the edge,” a great push of encouragement and Robbie’s classic “demanding a hug” and holding me super close telling me how proud he was of me and how he knew I could do it and we’d be so careful, etc. got us to the summit. It’s a really small area at the top, so it’s a good thing not many people visit this place because if there had been lots of people on the trail, the summit could have been dangerous with more people than just us. There was a guest book at the top that you could sign and after thumbing through the 2017 signatures, we realized most people that do this hike are from Sweden or another part of Norway. I love having our names in that book. Like the day before at Å, we stayed at the peak overlooking Haukland Beach on one side, Uttakliev Beach on another, and the amazing cliffs we just hiked on the other for a good hour or more. We just sat there taking it all in, trying to stain the amazing views in our minds for forever. These are things you don’t ever want to forget. How the maker of these robust and gorgeous mountains and the crystal clear Arctic, are the same hands that made us! I hope Robbie and I will never stop being in awe that the creator of nature knows our names and cares about our hearts! We are so unworthy! This G.K. Chesterton quote has us both inspired and awed by it’s original thought: “Because children have abounding vitality, because they are in spirit fierce and free, therefore they want things repeated and unchanged. They always say, “Do it again”; and the grown-up person does it again until he is nearly dead. For grown-up people are not strong enough to exult in monotony. But perhaps God is strong enough to exult in monotony. It is possible that God says every morning, “Do it again” to the sun; and every evening, “Do it again” to the moon. It may not be automatic necessity that makes all daisies alike; it may be that God makes every daisy separately, but has never got tired of making them. It may be that He has the eternal appetite of infancy; for we have sinned and grown old, and our Father is younger than we.” Praise God!

We took our time getting down the mountain, then walked along the sand at Haukland beach. My girlfriend Jacquie honeymooned in Lofoten only about two weeks ago and she sweetly recommended that we stop by the city of Unstad because of the surfing that happens on that beach and also the Unstad Arctic Surf shop has amazing cinnamon rolls. We couldn’t pass that recommendation up so we drove thirty minutes over there to end the evening. It was 5pm when we got to the surf shop. It’s a really great, clean shop with amazing surf pictures on the walls, cool branding, and the type of place they make you take your shoes off at the door so all the surfers coming in and out are barefoot. You could smell the cinnamon rolls when we walked through the door. This felt like the perfect reward after hiking Mannen. There was a blonde Australian girl, probably 26 years old, sitting at a table in the bright cafe area. She said, “Just grab a cinnamon roll or two from the counter, help yourself to coffee over there, and sit and enjoy yourselves. You can just pay at the end.” And it was perfect. A hot cinnamon roll for both of us and two hot coffees on the 55 degree day. We sat across the table from each other, talking and smiling. It had been the most blissful day. We couldn’t have been happier. The Australian girl, Nikki, ended up asking us how our stay in Lofoten was and that led to a lengthy conversation with her and her boyfriend Kian (who joined the convo later) about how they moved to Lofoten in March for jobs at the surf shop. They were living in Sidney and had interned for the Unstad Arctic Surf shop last winter (summer for them in the Southern Hemisphere) and they essentially loved it so much that they asked for full time jobs there because they didn’t want to leave. Kian is a surf photographer and Nikki manages the kitchen at the surf shop’s villa where travelers can stay. I can’t explain how down-to-earth and genuinely some of the nicest, most interesting people Kian and Nikki were. They’re engaging, loving, and full of life. You could tell how passionate they were about the islands, how much they loved their jobs and how much they love people. Robbie inquired about the “open surf lessons” sign behind the counter after we had been talking for the last half hour. They were so good at selling the surf lesson class and so authentically stoked about the idea of us trying it that it got Robbie feeling like he really wanted to do it. I was all about him doing it but I didn’t want anything to do with it. Getting into waters in the Arctic Circle and doing something I “knew” I’d be bad at did not seem appealing. Nikki and Kian mightily encouraged us and talked about how much there’s no pressure to be good right away and it’s an amazing environment to learn on smaller waves in Norway (instead of big, more dangerous waves in a place like Australia) and the instructors there are top notch and so kind. It was Friday and they said they had an open lesson on Sunday, so we should think about it. It was 6pm by then and they were closing up the shop but told us that they and some of their friends were going down to the beach to surf if we wanted to just come and watch. So we ended the evening sitting on some rocks at Unstad Beach with an amazing sunset, watching our “friends” Nikki and Kian surf and we seriously felt like the most blessed people on earth. It was such an insanely good day. We drove home that night with the orange sun resting onto the mountains and made a good few more stops to get out of the car along the way again to drool over all the magnificence.

The next day we took it pretty easy and drove the opposite direction of the city of Å on the main highway, the E10, that we had driven two days before. We stopped in Leknes, the bigger city where the airport is, even though it’s still just a tiny village in comparison to Omaha. We really just went to grab some more groceries to make some more food for the week, but ended up parking and walking around some kind of festival going on. There were carnival rides blasting American pop music, kids eating cotton candy, and a ton of adults walking around in cowboy hats and cowboy boots. We even noticed a sign for the festival that said something in Norwegian that we couldn’t decipher (sometimes the words will have enough of a spelling like an English word that you can sort of summarize what it’s saying) along with the word “cowboy.” We never did look it up to see what they were celebrating but we felt like we were back in Texas where I used to live or small town Nebraska or something. Too funny. We grabbed groceries and then drove an hour over to Henningsvaer, another small sea town we’d heard good things about. This was the most dreary weather day we had the whole week, so it was a perfect day to explore a small town and then stop into their cafe, grab a drink, and read our Bibles. So we did. This is also where Robbie couldn’t get the idea of surfing out of his head and it was making me really start to get interested myself. I was fighting with myself on it. On the one hand I was just so nervous to do it all, but on the other hand I knew I’d regret it if I didn’t try. Not to mention Robbie kept remarking that he “didn’t want to go surfing without his best buddy” with him, so you know that was enough to pull on my heart strings and do it with him. We called Nikki at the shop up and she said she’d get in touch tomorrow about whether the weather would allow a lesson or not. That evening we took it slow, went home, talked to Ken and Eric, and then rented a movie on my laptop and watched “Get out” in bed together in the dark. My sister-in-law Ani recommended this one to us a few months ago, and I’m so glad she did. SUCH a brilliant movie with an intriguing/fascinating/mind bending take on racial issues in America. We couldn’t stop talking about it with each other afterward. Definitely a must-see.

Sunday morning Nikki texted me and said they had a 4 oclock opening for a surf lesson that afternoon if we wanted to join. So with a rush of nervous energy, I texted her back that we’d both be joining the lesson. We made lunch at home and then drove to Uttakliev beach and sat and watched the waves a long time. No one was there except two guys tent camping. It was so quiet except for the water. After a couple hours we drove back to Unstad for our surfing lesson. We arrived and got introduced to Mimi, a French girl in her late twenties probably who was just as casual and laid-back and wonderful as Nikki and Kian from the other day. Mimi told us that the waves at Unstad Beach were a little too big and chaotic for beginners, so they were going to drive us out to Flakstad Beach 45 minutes away where there were likely more tame waves. We sat in the cafe and chatted, just Mimi, Kian, Nikki, Robbie and I. Mimi informed us that we were the only ones who signed up for the lesson so it would just be us two going! What a gift! A private surfing lesson, just Robbie and me! How awesome is that? They offered a package that sincerely wasn’t much more money for Kian to come along and photograph the whole lesson! I mean, come on, if you know me, that’s a dream! To have a professional photographer around while we make epic memories so I don’t have to worry and fuss with my tripod and other things to capture sweet moments for Robbie and me?! Another sweetness is that Kian had found me online and the whole group made reference to how awesome my photography was, in fact, Kian said, “I’m a little embarrassed to give my whole photography spiel to you, since you’re such a great photographer yourself” which truly felt ridiculous to me because I’d seen his work and thought the same thing! And then just to add the icing on the cake, Kian told me that he usually shoots jpegs for all customers but wondered if I would want him to shoot in RAW since I do photography!! I mean, insane! and so thoughtful! This was a dream for me.

We got in our wetsuits, which was a brand new experience since we’d never been in one before, only pulling them up to our waists with our shirts on still, so we could drive to the other beach and then put them the rest of the way on ourselves. They’re really thick and pretty cozy actually. We got to Flakstad and Mimi was literally jumping up and down squealing with giddyness over how perfect the waves and weather conditions were for a lesson. Robbie and I just loved her passion for it and soon found out how much we loved her patience and compassion toward her “clients.” We got a little lesson on our boards in the sand for maybe 5 minutes before just jumping in the water and going for it. We had a several-person audience on the side of the beach– travelers who planned to camp at the beach that night that thought we were crazy for getting in the arctic waters. In fact one woman was recording us walk down to the beach with our wetsuits and surfboards on her phone saying with a smile on her face, “You guys are crazy for getting in there!” hahaha

When I say the next two hours of my life were some of the most fun hours I’ve ever had with Robbie, I’m serious. Robbie is the happiest and sweetest boy I’ve ever known, and he’s so positive and smiley, but trust me, I’ve hardly ever seen a smile that big on his face for that long. Robbie’s joy for this adventure made me giddy and allowed me to stop thinking about the things that scared me about the experience and instead focus on the rush and treasure of it all. We couldn’t believe how invincible we felt in wet suits. They keep you so warm and I know for me, I’m constantly thinking about what I’m stepping on or what’s swimming around me when I’m in the ocean, but with the full suit on, I never once thought about those distractions. Neither of us wore the hoods that they each have attached to them, and I especially loved every time I fell off the board and went under because the cold water on my face actually felt incredibly refreshing. We ended up surfing for more than two hours and there was a perfect sun set happening behind us the whole time. Mimi and Kian were seriously the most encouraging people to have on our team. Robbie picked it up right away and was standing on his board almost consistently, and it took me only about 4 waves before I was able to get standing on my board. We weren’t perfect, that’s for sure, did a few nose dives right into the water instead of making it up on the board, got slammed with a few too many large freezing waves to the face on the exhausted swim back out deeper into the water after you had ridden a wave in (definitely the most tiring part, if you ask me), and found out perfecting the timing and speed of paddling your arms as a wave rolls in and then the timing of getting up on the board is super difficult. But at the end of the day, we had the most fun new experience of our lives, we laughed a ton at ourselves when we fell or got slammed with the tide, praised each other when we were really doing well, had the greatest weather, took a five minute break of hot chocolate and cookies on the sand before getting back out there and made some awesome friends with Mimi and Kian. It’s been four days since Sunday at the time of me writing this and we haven’t stopped talk about it. We loved it that much. We are so glad we did it and Robbie and I left feeling like even better buddies than when we started. So thankful for my best buddy to go through this all with. Getting out of the wet suit in the parking lot was quite a challenge— that suit is TIGHT and it’s all suctioned to your body from the wet, then we were naked underneath and our bodies were getting exposed to the brisk Arctic evening air and we realized just how amazing wet suits really are because they keep you so warm. Now we are dead set on buying one of our own one day and swimming or surfing in cold waters everywhere we go since we tend to end up at cold beaches a lot on our travels.

Monday we woke up, got our surf photos from Kian, went to a cafe in Leknes he recommended to us, ate and edited photos for awhile. Then around 3:30 we drove an hour to Fredvang for a sunset hike starting about 4:30. The hike wasn’t as hard as Mannen, but it was longer and way more muddy. We have great water-proof hiking boots so it wasn’t so bad. It was about a 2 hour hike and it winded through some mini lakes that sit in the cliffs and around mountain sides, and then finally you see the summit, but it’s quite a steep trek at the end of the journey to make it to the top. We met a girl named Kate from Denver who was traveling alone and hiking Ryten, the hike we were on. We actually stopped to ask her as she passed us if we were going the right way as it looked like she was coming from the direction we wanted to go and thought she’d be able to tell us if we were correct. It was funny because after a little research of the maps we screenshotted on each of our phones, we discovered she was headed in the wrong direction and if we hadn’t stopped to ask her that question, she would’ve gone to the wrong place! I love how God works things out in fun ways like this. She’s way quicker than us so she made it to the top way before us but we got to talk about our travels a bit at the summit. She’s from New York but moved to Denver a year and a half ago for the nature. She had bought a camera and lens specifically for this solo trip to Lofoten and dropped and broke the lens a day and a half into her adventure. Such a bummer.

The Ryten hike offered views of a secluded beach that only has access to it via this hike. The beach is called Kvalvika and is very small and is three-quarters surrounded by beautiful pointed peaks. Apparently theres a documentary about surfers that lived on this beach for nine months living off of expired food during a harsh winter just to surf these waves. It’s called North of the Sun and we really want to watch it now. The sun was setting after awhile of sitting and admiring it all. We wanted to make it back down to mountain to the car before it got too dark since we didn’t want to get stuck. But as we left, Robbie and I both turned immediately around toward the ocean as we heard an unmistakable sound. Killer whales blowing water out of their blow holes! We looked back at the beach and only probably a football field away from the sand was a group of three whales beneath the surface of the water, only letting us see bits of their black backs and small white patches. We took another seat back down on the mountain and watched as long as we could, fascinated. They expelled air through their blowholes another couple of times before we had to call it quits since the sun was getting low. Just another beautiful experience in Norway. We couldn’t believe it.

Tuesday was our last full day in Lofoten and we didn’t have plans. We ended up driving most of the E10 again back toward the west end, just to see all the scenery one more time. It’s impossibly beautiful and we had to do it again. By 4pm we decided to stop at a convenience store in Reine (pronounced Rain-uh) to grab a bag of firewood, a lighter and some newspaper. We wanted to end our last night at our surfing beach at Flakstad (also known as Skagsanden beach) with a fire. We drove the thirty minutes back to Flakstad from Reine and explored the rocky side-beach to figure out a good spot for a campfire since it happened to be one of the most windy days since being there. Robbie found the perfect place tucked beneath some large stones and he was able to get a fire going in a very short amount of time. Over the next three hours that the fire kept up, the sun melted behind the mountains, clouds rolled in and made the fire’s warmth all the more amazing. The most fun part was that very soon after getting the fire started, a Swedish girl around our age named Astrid who was traveling by herself had apparently just recently dried off from surfing, walked over and sweetly asked if she could possibly warm herself up at our fire. She has been sleeping in her car this week, so this would be the best way she could warm up. We heard about life in Southern Sweden, how she commutes over to Copenhagen to work since salaries are apparently better there but rent is cheaper in Sweden, about her excitement for kite surfing, and how she knows 5 languages (her English is perfect by the way): Swedish, Danish, English, Portugese, and Italian!! She had thick red hair and the prettiest accent. She was witty and Robbie and I both loved talking to her. Shortly after, an Austrian man in a camper van named Daniel wandered over to our fire and asked if any of us wanted coffee since he could make some really easily. Robbie took him up on it and before long, the four of us were sitting and chatting all together by the fire next to the beach with coffees. Daniel quit his job in Vienna five weeks ago, bought a camper and drove to Lofoten. He plans to travel for the next year or however long “the money lasts.” haha We heard about his adventures of picking up a hitchhiker along the coast of Norway and they ended up hitting it off and the guy stayed in his van with him for about ten days, hiking together, and doing life together. He also picked up a Spanish couple and did some of the same things with them. Guys, Robbie and I love hearing people’s stories, laughing together, and finding out that no matter what country you’re from, you have so much to bring to the table. God is writing such fascinating stories that bring us so much joy to have ears to hear them and see them unfold. Funny thing is, a girl walks up to the fire where the four of us are sitting and she says, “Chase? I thought that was you!” It was Kate from the Ryten hike the day before! The world is small even when you’re in Northern Norway. So fun! Kate joined us the rest of the evening and we all laughed, talked about aliens (and got way too technical about it), Big Foot, and the Northern Lights. haha We were so bummed because the week we were there was the first week the Aurora Borealis was visible and Kate had gotten some insanely bright and vivid shots of them from the night before but sadly we didn’t know they would be out–it never crossed our minds that that was a possibility– and so I guess we can just say we slept under the Northern Lights. We stayed up until one in the morning that last night we were there, waiting for those Northern Lights to show up, but it became a very cloudy night and they weren’t visible. Bummed, but yet we fell asleep so so full after an evening with new friends. We all started following each other on social media, hoping to follow along on each other’s journeys. ❤

Lofoten, Norway, you were the dream. Robbie and I would relive these seven days over and over again if we could. We both left saying this was our very favorite place we’d ever been in our lives. I think we’re still catching our breath from the landscape. We will never forget our week under the Northern Lights, getting in the cold ocean, catching waves, making friends, scaling mountains, and driving coastlines. We love you, Norway, we cannot say it enough. Thank you, Jesus, for allowing us this experience together.

++ (1 of 7)++ (1 of 13)++ (2 of 7)++ (2 of 13)++ (4 of 7)++ (4 of 13)++ (5 of 7)++ (5 of 13)++ (7 of 13)++ (9 of 13)++ (11 of 13)++ (12 of 13)++ (13 of 13)Lofoten (256 of 496)Lofoten (267 of 496)Lofoten (427 of 496)Lofoten (438 of 496)Lofoten (460 of 496)Lofoten (470 of 496)Lofoten (472 of 496)Lofoten (485 of 496)Surfing (1 of 48)Surfing (2 of 48)Surfing (3 of 48)Surfing (5 of 48)Surfing (6 of 48)Surfing (7 of 48)Surfing (8 of 48)Surfing (10 of 48)Surfing (17 of 48)Surfing (18 of 48)Surfing (21 of 48)Surfing (28 of 48)Surfing (30 of 48)Surfing (35 of 48)Surfing (40 of 48)Surfing (43 of 48)Surfing (47 of 48)